Road trips are a perfect way to explore a new country. Or even your own!
There are so many beautiful places you can visit in the UK.
Did you know we have 15 National Parks?
From the Cairngorms in Scotland to Snowdonia in Wales. The beautiful Lake District in Cumbria. And down to Dartmoor National Park on the west coast of England. As well as many more stunning spots to visit.
Driving is a perfect way to enjoy all that the United Kingdom has to offer. And during my time I will be visiting and hiking in all our stunning National Parks.
Whether your trip is for a couple of days or a few weeks. Your packing list is going to relatively be the same.
Have you ever noticed when you’re packing for a trip? You have the same amount of things for a short trip as you do for a long one!
This is my ultimate UK road trip packing list.
It includes everything from boring car documents, emergency items and how to make your journey more enjoyable. And a few things you might not have thought about taking.
*I’ve added links to some of my favourites items. If you’d like to buy them for your trip simply click on the images 🙂
Let me know if you think of any extra items that would have been handy whilst I’m driving around the UK.
*Becky the Traveller participates in the Amazon Services Associates Programme, as well as other affiliate programmes. If you make a purchase through these, I earn from the qualifying links. This is at no extra cost to you.
UK Road Trip Packing List
Boring car items (but essential ones!)
- Driving licence
- Insurance details
- Emergency roadside assistance (plus phone number)
- Pen and paper
- Coins for parking machines (Becky’s Tip – Take lots of 50p, 20p, 10p)
- Map or GPS (even if your car has sat nav this is still a handy item)
- Ice scraper (winter months)
For a more enjoyable journey
- Bottle of water – keep hydrated! (I love my Sigg pictured below). (Click to buy from Amazon)
- Or a flask for a hot drink – (I use Sigg Hot & Cold – read my review here)
- Music (AUX cable to plug your phone/iPod in or maybe even some CDs!)
- Sweeties or healthy snacks (I like both!)
- Car mints
- Small first aid kit
- Blanket or sleeping bag
- Water – I am taking my 5-litre water carrier. (Handy for both camping and if the car gets thirsty!)
- Spare tyre + car jack and toolkit
- Torch (Head torch best option, if you have to change a tyre in the dark!)
- Phone USB charging cable
- USB car charger/adaptor
- Power inverter to charge laptops, tablets, camera batteries on the go. (This is the one I ordered from Amazon!)
Keeping you and the car clean
- Wet wipes – these come in handy for anything!
- Hand sanitiser
- Toilet paper + plastic bags (leave no trace)
- Paper towels
- Rubbish bags – to try and keep your car tidy!
- Seat cover – if you do get caught in a rain shower, save your car seat getting wet too with a cover (or a black bin bag will do the trick)
Handy optional extras
- Cool box + ice blocks (for food and drinks especially in the summer months)
- Umbrella (you never know when it might rain in the UK)
- Pocket knife/Swiss army knife
- Picnic blanket
- Camera (to capture all those beautiful memories of your trip).
- Medication and prescriptions
- Lip balm (car aircon always seems to dry my lips out)
- Extra jumper or top to keep you warm
Food and drink
- Breakfast bars
- Lunch options – sandwiches or pasta (in your cool box)
- Lunchbox to keep food fresh
Camping items (optional)
- Tent – My first tent the Vango Banshee 200
- Sleeping mat
- Sleeping bag
- Gas stove + spare gas
- Cooking equipment – Saucepan, frying pan and cooking utensils
- Cutlery, bowls, plates and mugs
- Eco-friendly washing up liquid + sponge
You might like to try these campsites in the UK
Are you planning a trip to the UK? Can you think of anything I have missed off my UK road trip packing list?
Tell me in the comments below.
Save to your UK Travel Pinterest boards
**Sigg sent me these products. All opinions are my own.