After spending 4 days hiking in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains. And reaching the summit of Mount Toubkal (4,167m/13,671ft). I had so many amazing photos of the trip. Although Morocco is a popular destination, not many people take on the challenge of climbing a mountain on their trip! Well I can understand why but here I am hoping that maybe I can tempt you to take on the challenge.
Mount Toubkal is not only the highest mountain in Morocco but it is also the highest mountain in North Africa. The trek begins with gradual uphill which does get steeper after a little while. Don’t worry there are plenty of places to stop on route for a quick snack and water. And of course, to catch your breath!
Hiking in the Atlas Mountains doesn’t need any technical climbing or special equipment. Just a good pair of walking boots and some determination to keep you going. Trekking to Mount Toubkal summit does involve some high altitude. However, over the 4 days staying in the Berber villages your body acclimatises and you get a great idea of life in the mountains.
You can opt for a one day trip and have a flavour of the Atlas Mountains. I chose a 4 day multi hike with a group via GAdventures. This was I experienced more what the mountain had to offer, including reaching the summit of Mount Toubkal. Read more about my full adventure here.
So why would I recommend trekking in the Atlas Mountains?
1. Away from the craziness of Marrakech the Mount Toubkal trek starts with nature around you
2. friendly mules to help with your bags
3. Day 1 on the hike and stunning views after just a few hours
4. locals open up their shops especially for you
5. first hand experience what it’s like living in the mountains
6. learning about the farming challenges on a mountain
7. The rest stops after the big uphill climbs are so worth it
9. And getting lost in the berber villages – it all looks the same!
10. Each day brings even more gorgeous views
11. And you get to meet the local wildlife too
12. Camping sites don’t get much better than this
13. Reaching Mount Toubkal summit feels amazing
14. Would you believe it… there’s a great gym at Mount Toubkal summit too!
15. So what are you waiting for……..
Would you love to take on this challenge? Ask me any questions in the comments below.