My Mount Toubkal Trek was one of my Morocco highlights. After spending 4 days hiking in the Atlas Mountains and reaching the summit of Mount Toubkal (4,167m/13,671ft). I had so many amazing photos of the trip.
Although Morocco is a popular destination, not many people take on the challenge of climbing a mountain on their trip! Well, I can understand why but here I am hoping I can tempt you to take on the challenge to book the Mount Toubkal trek in the Atlas Mountains.
Toubkal is not only the highest mountain in Morocco but it is also the highest mountain in North Africa. The trek begins with gradual uphill which does get steeper after a while. Don’t worry there are plenty of places to stop on the route for snacks and water. And of course, to catch your breath!
The Mount Toubkal Trek to the summit does involve some high altitude
*Becky the Traveller participates in the Amazon Services Associates Programme, as well as other affiliate programmes. If you make a purchase through these, I earn from the qualifying links. This is at no extra cost to you.
Hiking in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains doesn’t need any technical climbing or special equipment during the warmer months. Just a good pair of walking boots and some determination to keep you going to the top of the mountain.
The Mount Toubkal trek to the summit does involve some high altitude. However, over the 4 days of staying in the Berber villages, in the Atlas Mountains, your body acclimatises and you get a great idea of life in the up high in mountains.
You can opt for a one-day trek and have a flavour of the Atlas Mountains. However, I chose a 4-day hike on a group tour with G Adventures starting and finishing in Marrakech (7-day tour).
This way you experience more of what the Atlas mountains has to offer, including reaching the summit. There are also tours in winter, which would be a completely different experience. Check out other trekking options here with Toubkal Trekking.
Why would I recommend the hiking the Mount Toubkal Trek? Here are my favourite photos from my Atlas Mountains Trek.
Want to read my full guide on my 4-day trek? Mount Toubkal – All you need to know guide
Mount Toubkal Trek in Morocco’s Atlas mountains
1. Away from the craziness of Marrakesh the Mount Toubkal trek starts with nature around you
2. Friendly mules to help on the trek with your duffel bags
3. Mount Toubkal trek day 1 with stunning views after a few hours
4. Locals open up their shops especially for you
5. First-hand experience what it’s like living in the Atlas Mountains
6. Mount Toubkal Trek – learning about the farming challenges on a mountain
7. The rest stops after the big uphill climbs are so worth it
8. Exploring the Berber villages and experiencing local life in the Atlas Mountains
9. And getting lost in the Berber villages – it all looks the same!
10. Each day on the trek brings even more gorgeous views
11. And you get to meet the local wildlife whose home is in the Atlas Mountains too
12. Camping sites don’t get much better than this
13. Reaching Mount Toubkal summit feels amazing
14. Would you believe it… there’s a great gym at Mount Toubkal summit too!
15. So what are you waiting for……..
Read my full post here on trekking in the Atlas Mountains
My tour was booked with G Adventures, a group tour company that is passionate about working with local communities and employing staff from the area. So no British tour guides here! All tour guides will be from Morocco and have great local knowledge of the area.
If you’re planning a winter trip read my packing list for winter here
Want to find out more about their group tours?
- You can prices and availability here for the Climbing Mount Toubkal.
Would you love to take on the Mount Toubkal Trek in Morocco’s the Atlas Mountains? Ask me any questions about the trek or reaching the summit in the comments below.
Do you love hiking or trying to decide what trek to do next? Check out all my Hiking Gear, Tips and Destinations here
Pin this to your Morocco boards on Pinterest
*I booked and paid for the Mount Toubkal Trek, Morocco independently through G Adventures